Gender Responsive Local Governance
Grassroots women’s active and effective participation in local governance increases when they are organized and aware of their rights as citizens to participate. The panel will examine how strategic alliances between grassroots women’s networks and women local councillors can improve local governance and support gender responsive service delivery. It will explore how these efforts can contribute to advancing gender equality and women’s rights in the post 2015 development agenda.
The session will feature:
· Jan Peterson, Chair of the Huairou Commission
· Fatimetou Mint Abdel Malick, Mayor of Tevragh-Zeina, President of REFELA, Mauritania, UCLG
· Celestine Ketcha Courtès, Mayor of Bangangté, Vice President of REFELA for Central Africa, UCLG
· Esther Mwaura-Muiru, Groots Kenya, Huairou Commission
· Zohra Khan, Policy Advisor, Governance and National Planning, UN Women
· Albert Padros, Urban Legislation, Land and Governance Branch, UN-Habitat
· Kodjo E. Mensah-Abrampa, Policy Advisor, Local Governance, UNDP
An interactive dialogue will follow the presentations.
Facilitator: Emilia Saiz, Director Statutory Issues and Institutional Relations,
United Cities and Local Governments